www.themutepoint.com Forum Index www.themutepoint.com
Leicesters Games Soc Site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

USR:> Game Info
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.themutepoint.com Forum Index -> GHOST /in the\ SHELL
View previous topic :: View next topic  
I-KP

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 5:27 pm    Post subject: USR:> Game Info Reply with quote

All characters work for The Division Of Public Sanitation as part of a work team designated ‘ARGUS#102’.
Some will have been in the team longer than others but all have had time to get to know each other.

1) Select a character portrait from those show below and then come up with a good idea of who
you want that character to be. This is important as Character Creation will require the writing of a
few paragraphs detailing who the character is and this write-up is referred to throughout game-play.

2) There are also a few areas that must be covered at least once amongst the work team as a whole:
- 'Ex-Section 1'. Discharged before time.
- 'Firefighter'. Previous experience as a City Firefighter (regulation for all Argus crews).
- 'The Temp'. Aspirations for another career. Probably new to the crew.
- 'Career City Engineer'. In for the long term.

There are other ‘secret’ requirements that need to be taken up. If you want your character to
have one of these then ask me and I’ll issue one – there’ll be no backtracking on this tho.
Don’t worry, these are not damaging, they’re just the kind of drawbacks that would be nice for this
kind of game that probably wouldn’t come up during a normal character generation session.

This will be a serious game (time to buckle down chaps – sorry!), an experiment, and will last
for a few sessions then we’ll get back to SB. If this does work I’ll be looking to keep something
going outside of SB Thursdays. No obligation to partake.

Rules can be supplied in advance to familiarise yourself with how this is going to work. It’s
advisable that you do read them because this isn’t a ‘normal’ way of doing things. Sounds
ominous, eh! Wink

'The Gaffer'
'The Freak'
'The Cute One'
'The Enginehead'
'The Crazy Guy'
'The Kid'
'The Only One That Does Any Bloody Work Around Here'
'The Guy With Issues'
'The Big Man'
'The Street Kid'
'The Tech'

Last edited by I-KP on Sat Dec 03, 2005 11:59 am; edited 6 times in total
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Church

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in of course

put me down for the Freak
Twisted

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acting completely against type I'll go for the Crazy Guy Smile

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Street kid please

Martin Very Happy
I-KP

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Three down, three to go. Good start!

Come up with names if you will and post em here, I'll then get them converted into Hiragana characters for the character sheets. Don't all have to be Japanese names as The City is very cosmopolitan.

Also give me a nod if you want a Secret. If there are not enough takers they'll be issued at random. Smile
Twisted

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hamano Taiki - Ex Section 1

*nods*

This might help as well
cat

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm interested!
antiwiggle

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Rules can be supplied in advance to familiarise yourself with how this is going to work. It’s
advisable that you do read them because this isn’t a ‘normal’ way of doing things. Sounds
ominous, eh!

Frankly yes. How is it going to work? Confused
I-KP

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cat,

If one of the regulars (who have first refusal) doesn't want to play the seat is yours.

Mike,

Sorted.

Andy,

I'll mail 'em to you shortly. In a nutshell, you won't be needing any polyhedrons (regular or irregular).
I-KP

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Click here for the RULES.

v1.1 in PDF (350K).

Last edited by I-KP on Thu Aug 25, 2005 5:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Twisted

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a quick question Ian, flicking through the rules, and I haven't finished yet; I'm assuming Secrets will give you Overides whilst providing automatic Blackmarks. True?

And with an Expert Task and 3 Free Overides, you could easily perform a Formidable Task without risk, once per session. (I'm assuming you can't add in Extra effort to build it up to a Incredible by taking a Black Mark because of the rule of 3)

Females get 2 bonuses and 1 flaw. Should Men get another Impetus zone?

O.K. Read and understood, will do the A4 later Smile
I-KP

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Twisted wrote:
Just a quick question Ian, flicking through the rules, and I haven't finished yet; I'm assuming Secrets will give you Overides whilst providing automatic Blackmarks. True?

Nah. Secrets are story elements. RP features such as (but not) 'I Am Really A Reptillian From The Planet Scrumptious'.

Twisted wrote:
And with an Expert Task and 3 Free Overides, you could easily perform a Formidable Task without risk, once per session. (I'm assuming you can't add in Extra effort to build it up to a Incredible by taking a Black Mark because of the rule of 3)

It's not written as clearly as it could be. I'll try to explain Overrides and Black Marks better:

OVERRIDES are used to alter story elements to your favour but do not directly contribute to TASK RESOLUTION, i.e., they don't count as EFFORT, but if properly used the results could make the environment for the TASK easier by, for example, having the right tools there for the job after all cos you did remember to pack them just before you left.

NPCs and the Story itself have their own OVERRIDEs which will be spent to make their life easier. This can be percieved as being Black Marks used against you because it might be a negative influence directly on what you're doing. There is nothing to stop you spending your OVERRIDEs to counter theirs for no penalty - it's a straight contest of Luck if you will. You will only suffer personal BLACK MARKs if you spend more OVERRIDEs than you have.

Your Personal BLACK MARKs will be spent by the GM to make your life harder at some point but the real killer with these is that if you are forced to use some OVERRIDEs to counter the effects (because you might not be able to fully counter with EFFORT alone) you'll suffer three BLACK MARKs per OVERRIDE used (plus the usual 1 BLACK MARK if you are overspending - it can get quite serious if it is allowed to get out of hand). You'll get out of the immediate mess, sure, but those BLACK MARKs will all come and bite you in the ass at some later point!

There is a point of no return: A Player may be tempted to keep spending OVERRIDEs to counter BLACK MARKs indefinitely. If a character has BLACK MARKs equal to 3 times their normal level of Free OVERRIDEs then OVERRIDEs cannot be used to counter any of them until the number of personal BLACK MARKs has been reduced to zero. It's at time like these where a character could find themselves in life-threatening situations that they may not have enough EFFORT to get out of! This is made all the more risky as Players do not know how many BLACK MARKs they have (the GM keeps a secret tally).

Expert:

With an Expert Competence you can plough as much Effort into a task as you like. Considerations have to be made regarding if you plan to be doing anything other than this one task for the whole of the SCENE. If something comes up that requires more effort (after you've burned it all fixing an Anthropomorph Crisis Suit with a straw and a box of Lego) you'll be causing Tiredness which is far harder to recover.

Also, the listed Task difficulties are a bit low and have been altered post-.doc post. They should increase at a geometric rate, and now do.

Twisted wrote:

Females get two less Vital Signs boxes (--), one extra non-corporeal attribute (+) and one extra Comfort Zone (+).

Twisted wrote:
O.K. Read and understood, will do the A4 later Smile

Cool. It might be better have a good idea of who the character is first then draw up some notes. I've typed up some stuff since that will assist in writing a Portrayal.

Remember, this is an experiment and there will be changes.
Twisted

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Twisted wrote:

Females get two less Vital Signs boxes (--), one extra non-corporeal attribute (+) and one extra Comfort Zone (+).

True, but in the Bureau de Change, each of those is equal, so it's 2+'s and 1 -ve.

One of them seems to be flawed.[/quote]
Kev is right, the '--' (double) means "two negatives".

Twisted wrote:
With 'Zones' as well, does it have to be a 'Physical' Zone or can it be a Mental / Emotional.

I.E. Physical Comfort Zone 'The Pub'
Mental Comfort Zone 'Drinking'
Emotional Comfort Zone 'Being Drunk'

Physical Tension Zone 'Churches'
Mental Tension Zone 'Spiders' (Arachnophoia)
Emotional Tension Zone 'Being with Your Parents'

The term 'Zone' is an abstraction. It can mean whatever you want it to mean. So yes, a Comfort Zone does not have to be a location. I think one of the examples given is "With Girlfriend". ...and I doubt that anyone will recover Mental Tiredness thru being drunk! Wink
Church

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Akio 'Jonny' Otsuka - The Temp

-----------------------------------

"Females get two less Vital Signs boxes (--), one extra non-corporeal attribute (+) and one extra Comfort Zone (+).

True, but in the Bureau de Change, each of those is equal, so it's 2+'s and 1 -ve. "

I think the (--) means it's equal to 2 -'s ( I could be wrong )

Last edited by Church on Thu Aug 25, 2005 12:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Church

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kev wrote:
Iain, looking at Effort & Task resolution there doesn't seem to be a level of COMPETENCE where you have no free EFFORT and spend 1 to get 1.

How about instead of

No COMPETENCE ----- no Free EFFORT; 1-for-2
Amateur ----- contributes 1 Free EFFORT.
Professional ----- contributes 2 Free EFFORT.
Expert ----- contributes 3 Free EFFORT.

You have

No COMPETENCE ---- no Free EFFORT; 1-for-2
Amateur ---- contributes 0 Free EFFORT.
Professional ---- contributes 1 Free EFFORT.
Expert ---- contributes 2 Free EFFORT.
Master ---- contributes 3 Free EFFORT.

The presense of Competence affords a bonus. Having no competence is a penalty. You either have competence, thus is helps you in your task, or you don't. There is no 'zero', you go straight from COMPETENCE (you get a bonus) to NO COMPETENCE (you get a penalty).

Kev wrote:
If the task leader is an expert does it make no difference if the people helpiong him are amateurs or professionals - it seems a little odd if that is the case

As written you just need to have Competence to be able to contribute to the task at hand. Notionally you'd think that a Professional would be able to contribute more but Assists offer a small overall Effort bonus rather than a scale of bonuses by each participant's Competence (that would just be one step too complicated I reckon). It's open to adjustment but I'd like to try the simpler version first.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.themutepoint.com Forum Index -> GHOST /in the\ SHELL All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: