www.themutepoint.com Forum Index www.themutepoint.com
Leicesters Games Soc Site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Laptop

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Branithar

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 2:17 am    Post subject: Laptop Reply with quote

I'm in need of a bit of advice... my poor little laptop is starting to really creak now and it's about time it was put out to pasture. After a reasonable bit of research I've come to the conclusion (maybe misguided) that Dell is my best bet for a replacement.

Dell have the option to customise their laptops and I need advice on the following:

Arrow i3 vs i5 vs i7 Intel processors - yes I know that they get gruntier, but at what point is it too much? I'm not gonna use it for gaming so current thinking is the i5 for a bit of future proofing.

Arrow And the mac-daddy question - BluRay or not to BluRay? the bog standard build comes with 720p HD, so I'm guessing that if I go BluRay I'll also have to splash out on the 1080p screen

Before anyone shouts "Apple" at me, I have given it some serious thought, but the price of the basic Apple is my max price before I look at bells and whistles!

Any constructive ideas welcome!
flossy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obviously it depends on your needs but I'd be tempted for the i5 because of the general tendency at the moment for things to start need at least some 3D acceleration. Obviously this is also governed by what the graphic card choice is like.

Regarding BluRay; are you going to be watching BluRay disks on it or other sources of High Def video? It also matters over how far away from the screen you are going to be watching it and how big the screen is. I do quite like the following site for checking out pixel density:

http://tvcalculator.com/

An Apple, hadn't really though of it, and definitely not the ipad! I don't know, a laptop without a keyboard where you're limited to just one particular shop for the applications you can run on it ... crazy!
I-KP

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cost break currently occurs at the i5, i.e., you pay (relatively speaking) slightly more for less with an i3 and you pay much more for a little bit extra with an i7 (unless you are into high def. video encoding and other multi-thread heavy applications). You're probably wise not to look at an AMD option at this stage.

If you want to play games you are going to have to look closely at a solid GPU as well. These days CPU plays second fiddle to GPU in the games arena.

Don't bother with a Mac, even less so with an iPaddle (unless you plan to find yourself lost at see and in need of a mode of propulsion).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.themutepoint.com Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: