www.themutepoint.com Forum Index www.themutepoint.com
Leicesters Games Soc Site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Computer Techies Needed
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Twisted

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:57 am    Post subject: Computer Techies Needed Reply with quote

Ok, got my computer, all set up and lovely, but....

Every so often, it chugs massively..I mean taking a minute real time to respond to a click.

Now, I've checked as much as I can...Drivers are all updated, CPU isn't being crushed, Over a gig memory is free, network isn't being touched, aI have Watchdog, Anti-virus and Firewall active, all the processes are ones I recognise although Firefox is gobbling 50,000 K + and takes an age to load.

DirectX is up, Windows XP running and it's only intermittent.

Any ideas?
I-KP

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few things to try out:

- CPU/GPU overheating. Check the temps (I think all mobos these day of onboard thermal sensors).

- Download Process Exporer and see if it is a software issue. You will have to keep it running so you can look at it the next time your machine borks.

- Check the setting on your RAM in the BIOS. Look up the modules you have on the net to find out what their Safe and Optimum settings are first.
* If the settings are good, and you have dual modules, try: reseating them both / taking one out / taking the other out.
* Run a full memtest program. This will take hours but should point out if something is wobbly.
Twisted

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Temps low 40's: Supercooler going, but will look into the others. Ta.

It seems to happen only at certain times, and then for a brief period of time.
Twisted

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still happening. Process explorer isn't showing anything. The thing I'm most confused about is that it's only intermittent. Played TF2 for a good hour on full before there was a sudden glitch and slow down to turtle speed.
I-KP

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you check the RAM settings in the BIOS (to the manufacturer standard - not factory default)? Reseat, try without one module for a while then without the other?
dave

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Computer Techies Needed Reply with quote

Twisted wrote:
Every so often, it chugs massively..I mean taking a minute real time to respond to a click.

Eek! That's seriously bad; makes me wonder whether it's to do with paging; or whether you have a service trying to do something every so often...

Twisted wrote:
Now, I've checked as much as I can...Drivers are all updated, CPU isn't being crushed, Over a gig memory is free, network isn't being touched,

Is this whilst the problem is happening or outside it? You may want to switch on the perf monitors Control Panel->Administrative Tools->Performance while you're doing something relatively lightweight to catch this.

When it's happening is the disk light going mad? Does caps lock/scroll lock/num lock work fine? Can you Ctrl-Alt-Delete (this is performed through an interrupt; so lots of things that lock up the system won't lock this up)

Twisted wrote:
aI have Watchdog, Anti-virus and Firewall active,

Which flavour of the above? Please don't say Symantec!

Twisted wrote:
all the processes are ones I recognise although Firefox is gobbling 50,000 K + and takes an age to load.

That's Firefox being firefox, 50M ain't much any more!

Have you tried doing a HijackThisDump and checking all the started programs (hint: you don't need many).

Check in the registry under key HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run and see whats started (you should only have your AV or other security stuff started)
SteveBurge

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick question - if you're playing mp3's, do they still play ok? I remember getting massive lag on-screen once, butmp3's etc. were fine. It turned out to be the GFX card overheating, so I had to move some cards around so it had a bit more space around it.

Steve
I-KP

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Computer Techies Needed Reply with quote

dave wrote:
Check in the registry under key HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run and see whats started (you should only have your AV or other security stuff started)
You might have gfx card gubbins, printer stuff, any other custom input device profilers (e.g. programmable joysticks) in there as well.
Twisted

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Checked the RAM BIOS, nothing.

Pagefile is 3 Gigs kept safe from the main store.
This is before and during. I've had Performance/Process Manager watching whilst it's happened and they only jumped slightly.

HD buzzes away like normal and then gives a loud chug before it releases a burst of processor speed back to me. Locks work fine, CAD doesn't, mouse and rollovers still work.

Scotty the Internet Watchdog, AVG and PC Tools Spyware Doctor. All work in tandem fine on my old machine.

Like I'd let bloody Norton near my machine.

The strange thing is that both Safari and Exploder boot faster the FF by a long way. It actually seems that opening a program and especially altering the front display causes the most problems.

Saying that, I've been running since 8pm and only had one slow down point.

Scotty lets me see what Startups and Current programs are running.

When the glitch hits, it's like there's a total stop to all major processes, Network, Internet, Window movement, CAD all stop but mouse movement/rollover continues (though rollovers are at a much slower rate), as well as MP3's.

It also buffers mouse clicks during it, but not CAD's.

It glitched so badly earlier that it knocked out Explorer and Dr. Watson, but left Firefox and Safari standing.
I-KP

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried turning your RAM timings down in the BIOS?
dave

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Computer Techies Needed Reply with quote

I-KP wrote:
dave wrote:
You might have gfx card gubbins, printer stuff, any other custom input device profilers (e.g. programmable joysticks) in there as well.

Most of that gubbins ain't actually need. For example, the Nvidia control panel is just that: a control panel. The actual driver stuff is loaded elsewhere. Same with most printer drivers. I don't know about the programmable joysticks (being a joystick hater mesen).

It's more junk in the process table taking up memory and a wee bit of CPU.
El_Cid

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried booting in safe mode and running chkdsk ?(file table corruption/bad sectors etc.)
Twisted

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BOOM....and it's back to the laptop...

Won't even enter setup now, just hangs on the Motherboard screen.

Someone hates me.
El_Cid

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reset the bios (pull the cmos battery/toggle switch)
pull all but one stick of memory (rinse and repeat)
Twisted

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hrrmm...we have boot...ta for that; will keep you updated.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.themutepoint.com Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: