www.themutepoint.com Forum Index www.themutepoint.com
Leicesters Games Soc Site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Chapter VIII - The Dreamquest

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.themutepoint.com Forum Index -> RPG Forum:Silent Bird
View previous topic :: View next topic  
I-KP

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 6:02 pm    Post subject: Chapter VIII - The Dreamquest Reply with quote

[short get-back-into-the-swing-of-things passage going up here soon]

Last edited by I-KP on Mon Jun 14, 2004 4:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
I-KP

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The motorcycle team returned from their journey into the township, trailers laden with supplies - and a sheepdog. The first concern of DT being the state of the Holding chamber and the Black Room. Fortunately, MGR intercepted him in the morning grey courtyard and spoke quietly into his ear. A look of surprise swept across DTs flushed face then he unstrapped his helmet and cast it to the floor. The two men retreated into the Castle proper to continue no doubt heated discourse behind closed doors.

Several hours later the two men emerged yet a crackling atmosphere persisted between them.

DT and FL had a quiet meeting in which the two men discussed the experiences within the chamber and the information that the Wampyr ultimately yielded. Throughout the conversation it was evident that DT still harboured deep disagreement with the decision to release the Wampyr altho, under the circumstances, was pleased the FL came out relatively unscathed and the new information regarding the Reichsprotektor's involvement would prove invaluable.

MGR later explained in hushed tones that he stood by his order to open the chamber. He believed that valuable information would have been lost had the door remained locked. The security of this hideout may be compromised as a result of this action, granted, but rather than complain about 'what could have been' MGR advised DT that he concentrate his efforts within his field of expertise to assess the possible impacts of the action and devise a suitable plan for resolution.

As ordered, DT retreated into the rooms of the forth floor asking that he not be disturbed and no patrols be placed on that level. He told no-one of his plans beyond that he needed absolute silence if his concentration was to be maintained. Two days later he emerged, despondent, proclaiming failure at locating the escaped Wampyr.
"We will each have a hand in this matter." He rasped.

Attentions turned to the plight of Hess and the beast that claimed his failing life. The scholastic contingent of the Castle pondered the evidence at hand as to the nature of the invader. After several long nights spent hunched over books from the Castle's library, eating only when the body cried 'No more!', a form of consensus was reached;

It is clear that the beast was the natural predator of the Wampyr. A creature able to navigate the physical world in a complex and mysterious manner. But why did it not stalk the Wampyr themselves? Perhaps the barrier in space and time provided by the Chamber barred entry. In the same vein, why did it go after Hess?
Considering past evidence Hess on more than one occasion stated that he was being pursued. His affiliation with the Wampyr lead all to believe that he was not referring to them but rather something else. Also, during the interview with the Doktor, Hess stated that he was exposed to a beast that locked eye with him. Somehow, this beast was either set upon Hess intentionally at a much earlier stage or the beast itself chose the radical course of action.
DT produced a copy of an old report filed by Team-IX and raised the observation made over a year ago at the Bathosphere chamber in the cellar beneath the Factory in the Ore Mountains, where SS-Col Tragan was seen holding up in front of his face some kind of red visor moments before a huge hound-like creature emerged from a cloud white mist. Coincidence? DT thinks not. It is possible this entities involvement in Mittekries activities is far more subtle than was perhaps first thought.

It was at this juncture, during the research, that VJ took a turn for the worse. He turned pale, dropped a glass of water and fell face first from his chair. He roused swiftly to a bloodless face and quivering limbs. His minds eye wracked with the images of a recently suppressed memory; locking eyes with a dangerous prowling malevolence in a small white-mist filled chamber. [VJ : Phobia of Dogs]

After a detailed autopsy conducted upon Hess' eviscerated corpse, performed by SH and a nervous but still capable VJ, the remains were placed into an iron braced reinforced casket which was then locked into a small cage within the wine cellar. The Seal of Koth etched deeply onto a plate nailed to the lid. DT assured all that he would be instantly aware of any unearthly stirrings below.

For a good long while the first signs of frivolity echoed about the 150 year old corridors of Protivin Castle. At the insistence of MGR, Engel Platoon enjoyed a night of wine and music. Records crooned out from a battered old gramophone as a number of Soldats danced a cabaret wearing dresses obtained from lord knows where! A welcome break from reality. Even DT was seen to, metaphorically speaking, let his hair down and awkwardly mime some of the drinking songs.

On the morrow a transmission was received from the Radio Tower. MGR called Appel and all gathered in the main hall. In his hands he clutched a length of teletype and he read from it;

"Operation Barbarossa commenced at 0300hrs yesterday morning. Over 100 Divisions crossed into Soviet territory in the name of Lebensraum (Living Space). Germany is now at war with Russia."

The General dismissed the solemn congregation and the highs of the previous night's release were immediately dispelled.

DT had been rather cagey about the planned journey into what he called the Greater Realms of Existence until a point one rainy day over lunch. Almost without cue he began;

"As a skilled Traveller each night I spend up to a month in the other worlds. I can live out over 1'000 years between this world and the next. Just imagine what could be learned in that time. Consider the accomplishments! Any person serious about scholastic pursuits lives a secret life in the Greater Realms of Existence. The kind of knowledge that men like us seek simply cannot be accrued within the constraints of a 'normal' lifetime. I, myself, know of several other scholars that lead lives in the other world. Brilliant minds from the four corners of the waking world live, and love, and work there.

"Such a thing can come at a price mind you. The ways of the waking world can become distance and blurred if the traveller is not careful. The other world can become real at the expense of the material but make no mistake, one cannot exist without the other. It is the fears and desires of the waking world that drive the winds and the tides of other realms.

"Great responsibility lies on the shoulders of the master Dreamer. Barriers between our world and the Greater Realms are there for good reason! They hold forces of creation and destruction in their place. The equilibrium of the multiverse pivots upon these barriers. When we travel we cross these boarders and learn the ways of existence. When we return we carry with us knowledge that was never meant to sit on this side of the scales. We practice our art within the waking realm under the ever present understanding that everything we do weakens the barriers by degrees. It is for this reason that the Elder Gods (the oldest and most experienced Beings throughout the Greater Realms) have tasked two Guardians to police the gateway between our worlds, Kaman-Thah and Nasht. These immortals are able to look into the minds of mortal Travellers and decide whether passage should be granted. Do not be conerned, you will be travelling in my charge. I will speak for you all.

"With training and perseverance there is no reason why each and every one of you cannot become skilled travellers. You will be travelling with me at first so we will be able to spend more time in the other world than you would be able to by yourselves. I expect that we should be able enjoy about a 4:1 time dilation ratio (4hrs in the other world to 1hr here). After 20 years of practice you could be up to a ratio of approximately 30:1, like myself.

"When we wake from our travels we leave the other world and return to our lives here, yet time continues to pass in the other world at a greatly increased rate. For example, if we awoke one night and returned to the other world the next evening far more than one day will have passed there. I do not fully understand how the relation works but I have found that weeks, sometimes months pass in the other world to each waking day. I'm sure you can understand how this would prove difficult to manage for the inexperienced Traveller with regard to handling affairs on the other world. Especially, affairs of the heart. That is something I strongly advise against becoming involved in until you are at least a competent Traveller. Whom ever these special individuals are you will see them age and die within a few short waking months. Heed the words of someone that knows.

"The place I intend to lead you to is not like existence as you know it now. It is and entirely more primitive, bass level of existence. The luxuries of electricity have yet to be discovered. There are no firearms. To tanks. No aircraft. No Battleships. No Trains. But make no mistake, there is still war and suffering on a par with anything you have seen or read about yet these darkness are tempered by beauty, tranquillity and an innocence of living that is most alluring.

"When we travel we cannot take with us anything material. Even our bodies remain behind. Instead, what travels is ones mind and ones mental image of ones self is projected into these realms. All will become clear. We will practice first.

"This journey is no holiday. I intend serious business with serious individuals. You must be able to defend yourselves with tolls of conflict that you may not be familiar with. I have arranged for you to undertake training sessions with StormLeader Scherblok. He is a novice Traveller and knows the ways of these worlds when it comes to combat. Before you ask, MGR has not yet given authorisation for the StormLeader to travel with us. His duties lie with Engel Platoon who will be protecting our sleeping forms whilst we journey. A sentiment I will not quickly argue with to be frank.

..."
I-KP

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep. Silent Bird is back and now stranger than ever.

Marvelous.

Smile

I particulary enjoyed hearing about each of your Dreams and the working in of the first step along the path to the Seventy Steps. Didn't plan on that but I think we'll make it mandatory from now on. Translating your possessions in your own Dreams was a nice touch too. I suspect Nasht and Kaman-Thah will be receiving many strange and wonderful things from you chaps in the future!

-EDIT-

To clear up the 'Aging' issue; I got it wrong. Using the form of travel to the Greater Realms of Existence that you are, your projected body does not age whilst in the Dreamlands.

As discussed, there is a strange disparity between the Greater Realms and the Waking world with regard to the passage of time, so from the point of view of any persons whom you may befriend during your (presumed) future journeys, you will appear to remain forever 'young'. With regard to your own perceptions, these same persons will appear to age unnaturally quickly.

-EDIT-
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.themutepoint.com Forum Index -> RPG Forum:Silent Bird All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: