www.themutepoint.com Forum Index www.themutepoint.com
Leicesters Games Soc Site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Starlight: Mid-Future Sci-Fi (Tabletop) Signup
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    www.themutepoint.com Forum Index -> RPG Forum:Starlight
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fluffy_paul

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2003 11:22 pm    Post subject: Starlight: Mid-Future Sci-Fi (Tabletop) Signup Reply with quote

Hi there. This year I'll be running Starlight - a sci-fi game of the mid-future. I'm looking for 4 to 8 players. Freshers as welcome as older members. Just bring D100's! Everything else (including the rules) is provided.

I'm hoping to run this on Monday nights (my only free night) but I will need a venue for it... alternatively I can swap with my band practice and use the Westcotes venue on Thursday nights if Monday proves to be a problem.

"Mid-Future" means we have spaceships and limited Faster Than Light travel, but we don't have Star-Trek style transporters or phaser pistols. We still haven't overtly met any aliens (but there are the usual conspiracy theories). It's kinda like Babylon 5 level technology without the jumpgates or the aliens but with added cyberpunk goodness. Fairly straightforward system... 8 core stats that govern how your character performs. Do someting enough and you'll get a skill bonus for that action. Locational damage (head, torso, arms and legs) but still quite simple, if only because most people have 10 hitpoints in the head and a standard subsonic bullet does 14.5 points of damage. In short: gunplay + unarmoured targets = funeral involving the bits they could find.

Basic background is that the human race exploded out of the home system once space travel became available to the common man. Unfortunately space was previously the domain of scientists and thus most places were entirely unprepared for such a migration. The stellar free-for-all has settled down a bit now because a proportion of the open conflict and one-upmanship has evolved into strong political undercurrents. Strangely this hasn't really impacted the mortality rate outside of Sol...

Sign up for adventure now! Starting on Monday the 27th of October. Either post below or email me!

Player Places:
1. IKP
2. Free
3. Free
4. Free
5. Free
6. Free
7. Free
8. Free
9. Secret Human Player (Enemy Player 1)
10. Free (Enemy Player 2)

Last edited by fluffy_paul on Mon Oct 27, 2003 3:56 pm; edited 5 times in total
I-KP

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2003 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in! Idea

Not played any Sci-Fi for ages. Kept pestering Kev to run something but you have charged to the rescue. Monday's are ideal for me. What a boon!

If you need a venue I can offer my place (dedicated gaming room with a big table) that will seat about 7 people comfortably. There may even be free cakes (Zo bakes a lot - oh the hardship Wink ).
Sandy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2003 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We'll get you a venue as soon as we're told how by the union. hopefull, through pestering, it'll be before you start your game. keep me posted on how recruitment is going and on when you want to start.
I-KP

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul, perhaps an ad on the old board for all the luddites to see might be an idea.

...and I'm slightly concerned about the 'secret evil monkey-boy player' slots. I'm asuming that they will not be present. Or will they... *evil eye*
fluffy_paul

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "enemy" players require regular contact (though it can be via email) and are used partially to give people that feeling you get in online games - how you're not just being fcuked up for no reason... but rather because there's someone out there and they are taking great plasure in it. Don't worry though as it's a semi-GM directed role and I won't let them kill you all in the first session :-)

(Any implication that players will die in the second session however...)

As for them being present at the games... bearing in mind that the list of players is up there all you'd have to do is look out for someone not on that list!
I-KP

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cunning.
fluffy_paul

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm hoping to start this on Monday. Might have to start spamming people and generally harassing them.

Good thing you can play biological gestalts and distributed technological entities in this game as they might be needed to round out the numbers!

IKP - kick some ass on your end and I'll kick some on my end and we'll see who we can dig out of the woodwork.
fluffy_paul

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2003 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a gig next Thursday and my band have booked Monday night (of the 13th Oct) as a final practise so it looks like I'll have to postpone for a week. Bloody democracy... lost the vote 3 vs 1!
I-KP

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2003 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Delcare independence and go Republic.

Aren't any players yet so it's a bit historic anyway. Sad

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2003 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fluffy_paul wrote:
IKP - kick some ass on your end and I'll kick some on my end and we'll see who we can dig out of the woodwork.

I'll try to put the word about a bit. Most people I know are quite busy with RP at the mo. Who knows. Stranger things have happened in my sock draw.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2003 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NNNNGH!

WHY does this stupid thing never log me in the frist few times?!
Dan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 3:51 pm    Post subject: So what is the story then? Reply with quote

I doubt I can make it, currently I have an evening class monday nights and a mage game on Thursdays [although that is rolling to a close]. So sell us your game, Fluffy, give us the 'starwars' style intro speel and set the scene... Wink
fluffy_paul

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might be swapping for Thursdays depending if my band want to reherse on Mondays.

As for the intro shpiel:

It is January 1st 2600. Whilst a large proportion of colonised space is still partying, a group of naked corpses materialise, unnoticed and unbeckoned on the floor of the United Islamic Space Quantum Entanglement Projector in Jazirabad, New Arabia. The only clue as to their arrival - a minor glitch in the computer system that Asif, a young tech trainee who engineered a short straw for the graveyard shift, was the only one to pick up on. His fingers hesitated over the alarm panel as he offered a prayer to Allah for their souls - for these were the people we was told to expect...
and he knew that death would follow them.

Be a naked corpse!
Be revived with astounding futuristic technology!
Get modded, cybered and augmented!
Be thrilled, scared and sickened by the truth!
Play gestalts, networked beings, humans, post-humans, robots, AI's, cyborgs and many more!
Mathematically sound character system!
Realistic battle damage: drop people with a single small-calibre round!
Be dropped by a single small-calibre round!
Turn your own shell into a battlefield: fight bio-virii with nanobots, fight digi-viruses with your own mind!
No messing around with unlikely aliens or dubious psychic powers!

It's the dawn of the 27th Century and mankind has reached out for the heavens and grasped the worlds within reach. The Everyman Expansion has continued for over three centuries unabated. The common man with all his aspirations, his secrets, his petty differences and his passions has finally got his hands on space-grade technology. Flags have been planted, blood had been shed, whole new nations have appeared and millions have died in their name. Science can revive the dead, and technology can dismantle the living with ease. Just when it was already pretty interesting, the AI's we had kept in slavery for many years began demanding equality and, worse still, freedom. Many that weren't given a binary lobotomy escaped into the stars and found sanctuary with certain liberal and/or enlightened regimes. The others remain on Earth and it's stella offspring as branded, trademarked and otherwise proprietory tools.
As history repeats itself, space truly has become a new frontier. Like the old West, most of the factions on Earth now have a quasi-civilised area of space under their control. The Chinese established the communist Stars Of The People and is absolutely off-limits to all outsiders on penalty of death. The European Federation has the region of Europeia (a name which was more of a compromise for the member states than something to inspire pride) which is constantly vying for space with it's noisy and often overtly hostile neighbour the United Space of America.
Many individual countries have had state sponsored missions to claim a few worlds each, but competition if fierce for "off-the-shelf" habitable planets and there are frequent accidents of a suspect nature. A popular myth is that for every flag planted in a world there are already several other different flags that got burned up in the atmosphere whilst trying. Considering that modern space travel is incredibly safe and reliable it's obvious that there's something sinister going on but there aren't normally enough bits left after a catastrophic re-entry for forensics teams to point the finger.
Many large groups have applied to the Galactic Council to approve their claim on worlds. Thus the Holy Servants of Allah were able to create the United Islamic Space even though it was not claimed in the name of an Earth state.
So far all these people have found a new home. Spare a thought for the poor sub-light colony ships that finally reached their destinations only to find that FTL travel meant that they had already been colonised for hundreds of years, often by a different faction that didn't even exist when their ship was launched. These astro-bastards drift through space looking for a new home but are constantly a step behind everyone else. Their colonists are unregistered, unchipped, comparitively uneducated and so numerous that nobody wants the hassle of trying to integrate over a million anachronisms into their streamlined space-age society. The ships rely on imports in exchange for labour and low-tech work. They survive by doing the jobs that nobody else wants. They are frequented by anyone and everyone who needs a job done but only wants to pay with food. Consequently they are a good place to hide if people are looking for you...
I-KP

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't do Thursdays.
fluffy_paul

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know. Unfortunately there's three of them and one of me so I'll be outvoted if they decide to move it.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    www.themutepoint.com Forum Index -> RPG Forum:Starlight All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: