www.themutepoint.com Forum Index www.themutepoint.com
Leicesters Games Soc Site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

OperationCOBRA - coming here soon
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
I-KP

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 4:02 pm    Post subject: OperationCOBRA - coming here soon Reply with quote

Spearhead WWII:
OperationCOBRA

The Tank-Grinder : The Allied invasion of Nazi held Normandy shortly after the D-day landings

• Two teams of Generals (Players) each commanding either Allied(US*) or German forces.
  • The turn-based Strategic side of the game will be held here on the Mute Point with full colour maps showing detailed ‘State Of Play’ information in a graphical format. All Turn/Situation Reports and Orders Of Battle will also be posted on this site.
  • Tactical battles will be fought on a 6-8x4ft table (at one of two available locations) using the Spearhead WWII rules set, commanded by at least one General from each respective side at an agreed RL (real life) time.
  • This is an Open Book game (no Umpires) so everything is available to all with no hidden movement. This decision was taken for two reasons; 1) both Cat and I want to play; 2) we wanted to start simple.

And now for the best bits;
  • It’s totally FREE!
  • Everything is supplied (beer & chocolate you buy yourselves – sorry).
  • Myself and Cat do all the admin work so players need not get involved in the nitty-gritty unless they want to.

A good number of people have already expressed an interest but one could always do with more. So, come on all you wargamers. I know you’re out there. Get involved and fight for freedom! Hell, I’d play just to see the US burn! Play this; have a reason to go to the pub to pour over beer-soaked maps and scream at each other about the next turn’s Orders.

Due to the nature of the game the number of Generals on each side is mutable. Once the game has started anyone can join either side and get involved to the level at which they are happy (get involved in the deepest mechanics of finite formation organisation or just simply throw in ideas based on the State Of Play maps). The only rule being no splitters or ‘spys’.

When does all this start?

Soon. Very soon. Watch this space in fact. When we have a good idea of additional numbers the General’s Packs will be published on this site along with all support information (forces listings, leaders, maps, Airpower … the lot).

To war, gentlemen.

Iain & Cat

* Although other nations were involved we’re only representing US and German forces (and about 1/3rd of the actual number of formations present) for the purposes of this first game.
Tim

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in!

Can't put it simpler than that Smile

Cheers,
Tim
Jeff

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 8:05 am    Post subject: I'm interested! Reply with quote

But because of my schedule i can't guarantee i will be able to play! Confused

But definatly interested Cool

jeff
I-KP

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tricky schedules? Worry not. Time for battles can be arranged to suit all involved. With numerous players on each side this increases the chances that at least one in each will be able to meet up to fight out a tactical battle. Also, with both Cat and I hosting (and we both work different hours) there is an increased chance of at least one of our boards being available at any one time.

So, why the heck not, eh.
Sandy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may well be interested, but it boils daown to time again. i'll do as you suggest and watch this space, though!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, same cocerns time wise as the others but sounds like a giggle burning down yanks,

Kev
I-KP

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time shouldn't be a problem as long as most keep in mind that they may not have a hand in every battle (nor are they expected to), just the ones they can attend.

The Strategy element is entirely web based anyway so whenever people get five minutes to log at any time that'll keep thing ticking over.

We've tried to keep this first game small but it may yet still prove to be big. We'll just have to see how it goes. It is a working playtest after all!
evilgary

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I'd be interested to (though i to could bemoan lack of time here).

Nazi Ubergruppenfuhrer? (It's the long trenchcoats and harsh accents I swear)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You almost sound surprised at discovering your interest! More than welcome. Never had you pegged as a wargamer I must admit.

It's likely that tactical battles will take place on an adhoc basis within the following boundaries; weekday evenings; throught the weekend. Maybe even some weekday mornings (but that's up to Cat). Typical battles last anywhere between one and five hours (depending upon number of Battalions involved).

With four or five Generals per side there is a good chance that at least one from each will be able to meet up within the above boundaries.

Once the game gets going I would not be surprised if there were in the region of three to six tactical confrontations to resolve per Strategic Turn.

Cat reliably informs me that the force listings are about done. Once we have them I will post everything up (quite a bit - might look a tad daunting - or encouraging!) then sides can be aportioned. By then I will have contacted all interested parties directly via email to formalise arrangements (and get a new forum created here to host it).

Should be ... epic! Wink
Fresher Adam

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

like most people if i have time sounds interesting

(The thoughts of Chairman Miaow)
evilgary

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can I execute any of my Generals who retreat?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What you do to your team mates is up to you. Altho, holding a pistols to someone's head while they are commanding a battle may just be a tad over the top. Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...save that for the eastern front campaigns!
unclejerry

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 7:28 pm    Post subject: Operation Cobra Reply with quote

Herman`s Germans are coming.
Jawohl !
I-KP

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Panthers in the woods.

Grrr.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.themutepoint.com Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: