www.themutepoint.com Forum Index www.themutepoint.com
Leicesters Games Soc Site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

OK, first I'll confiscate bricks, etc....
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
umbralwarrior

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 1:34 pm    Post subject: OK, first I'll confiscate bricks, etc.... Reply with quote

Would anyone like to try running an online RPG. There are various ways that this can be accomplished, whether using IRC/Teamspeak/Yahoo Voice conference, etc. I'm just curious because people like me, who live elsewhere other than Leicester and have no group would then have something to do.... (Ok, besides WoW....LOL).

I know that sitting at a PC is not most people's idea of fun. The Ardingthoth and I were considering starting an online Star Wars game (even have the mIRC script for the dice - and it works, too) but that appears to have got nowhere fast.

I will understand completely if there is no interest in this.
will Man realise he cannot live on wealth alone...
Branithar

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I am in the depths of South London, and would be prepared to give it a go. I always thought there was a potential for remote players... had a vague idea once about having a Cyberpunk/Shadowrun hacker who was only accessable online...
I-KP

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We played a swift online RP game on here [this board] for a while - Paul ran it. Seemed to work okay for the format in question. Flossy's exploits into the realms of restricted access forums would have been a big boost, but worked okay none the less.

I'd be interested in an online IRC-a-like but timing could be tricky (it's very tough to back out due to lethargy when you're actually at the host's house and sat round his-her gaming table) so I can't guarantee 100% attandance.

Let me know (or post here) if there are any developements. Wink
Twisted

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Always up for a new game that means I don't have to move Wink
Pixelkat

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interested, but will need to go out and get dice from somewhere.... mine are packed somewhere in my mums shed in Wales....
umbralwarrior

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, Any idea on system/GM? As I said, Ardingthoth and I developed an IRC Dicebot script for Star Wars (2nd Ed) that works. If someone wants to run somwthing else, that script can be changed so it will use D10's or other dice as necessary. (The SW diceBot also takes into account the Wild Die in WEG 2nd Ed) Very Happy

Let me know what you think. I'm an Old IRC geek, so I'm sure we can come up with something. I am not, however, a very good GM, so I would (ideally) like someone else to Run.

If you don't want to type, you can always use something like Yahoo voice conference or teamspeak (though this requires someone hosting a TS server).

-- tag.... Smile
Branithar

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately I am also a pretty hopeless GM... maybe we need to do a few test sessions, try a combat etc.

Pixelcat... see the We Am Traintrip post if you want to learn how to make a die Very Happy
I-KP

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We did quickly evolved beyond toothpaste to a pritstik then on to a Roman Numeral dVI. We expect the next step to be an unfeasibly large, solid iron d6 once we make it to the Industrial era. Wink

As for dice, who needs 'em! Wink There are ways to get round using dice but for an IRC thing it might be quicker to use the unbiquitous polyhedrons none the less; cuts down on the amount of typing I suppose (a good thing for txt based).

Not sure that TeamSpeak/VoIP-a-like would be a good move. Can be a confusing mass of noise. If it's gonna be txt based then stick with IRC. Wink

As for GMing: I'd not mind doing a bit (for any initial tests at least; just to get the feel). My typing speed is pretty good but my spelling sucks goats. Also depends on the type of game. Will still be happy to play whatever is suggested tho. Cool

On the subject of systems, what do people think about that? Pinch one already published (in which case it is likely that all players will need to know that system inside out in order to keep te game speed up - if it's a complicated one) or just go systemless (the GM is the system and keeps any mechanics blind to the players)? I quite like the idea of a txt based game reading back (kind of) like a novel unpoluted with mechanics.

I know a few people play systemless games (or games that grant Players limited 'GM Privileges' as it were) and I'd be interested to hear what people think about this.
umbralwarrior

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'm up for a systemless one if it will be easier. At least there is the lack of knowledge on EVERYONE's behalf, rather than just mine. Smile

Mr Iain, I bow to your superior GMing ability (I know that's not much, coming from me, but still...)

I agree that an IRC one would be nice - you could get some poor flunky (I am NOT volunteering) to format the logs and turn it into something unique(ly wonderful?)

I can modify the dice bot if you want electronic dice (if you are using dice) or you can just leave it up to personal honour, etc, etc, etc......

Suggestions on genre/game?
I-KP

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

umbralwarrior wrote:
Well, I'm up for a systemless one if it will be easier. At least there is the lack of knowledge on EVERYONE's behalf, rather than just mine. Smile

Flossy is something of a Systemless guru. Well, he always seems to play Systemless at the nationals! I'm sure he knows all the tricks.

umbralwarrior wrote:
Mr Iain, I bow to your superior GMing ability (I know that's not much, coming from me, but still...)

Yeah, I've been cocking it up for years. Players either don't notice or are gracious enough not to keep pointing it out. Not sure what's worse actually. Wink But if someone else really really want's to GM the chosen genre, I'll not step in their way (esp. if WoD [as published], SW, or Supers is chosen); will just be a reserve/fallback in that case, no problems.
flossy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Um,

/me Pops Head up

Yeah, systemless good ... either that or highly detailed ones Wink
I-KP

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are indeed a creature of dichotomous tendancies. We must now dissect your brain in order to find out how it works. Please step up to the table carefully...
Wink
umbralwarrior

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Supers would be cool Smile
flossy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

/me Looks around

You sure this is safe? No, put the scalpe down!
Pixelkat

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I have only ever ref'd once and it was a complete disaster, that isn't really an option, and to be honest I don't really have an opinion on what type of system we use ("I am only a woman, and it is but the 18th century") just give me a chance to get to know it and online gaming!!!!!! I now have some d6 thanks to Games workshop (which is two bus rides and is over an hour away), but no others as yet, i really need to find the game shop someone mentioned, and to try and find some in the flesh gamers, yesterday was just mind numbingly dull!!!!!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.themutepoint.com Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: