www.themutepoint.com Forum Index www.themutepoint.com
Leicesters Games Soc Site
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Star Trek Online
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.themutepoint.com Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
I-KP



Joined: 25 Sep 2003
Posts: 3770
Location: Iddheim

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 4:41 pm    Post subject: Star Trek Online Reply with quote

CLICK ME

One to watch out for!
_________________
Elements of the past and future combining to make something not quite as good as either.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Twisted



Joined: 03 Nov 2003
Posts: 2332
Location: Sitting in a black leather armchair

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or avoid like Bangalore Belly...
_________________
Semper Eadem, not Merda Taurorum
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
I-KP



Joined: 25 Sep 2003
Posts: 3770
Location: Iddheim

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh don't talk bollox. How the crap can you say that when you've not even seen/played it?
_________________
Elements of the past and future combining to make something not quite as good as either.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
SteveBurge



Joined: 09 Oct 2003
Posts: 307
Location: Radishland

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh - I think Mike's more talking about the addictive qualities of MMORPGs...

I'm still hooked on WoW...

Steve
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mad Dwarf



Joined: 09 Oct 2003
Posts: 1560

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 3:45 pm    Post subject: Sigh. Reply with quote

"One to watch out for!"

"Oh don't talk bollox. How the crap can you say that when you've not even seen/played it?"

Positive uninformed opinion is more valid than negative uninformed opinion?
_________________
Looking for Inspirational Apps?
https://play.google.com/store/apps/developer?id=Mad+Dwarf+Productions
Looking for computer help in Leicestershire?
http://www.thepcwizarduk.com
Looking for Art, Crafts or Gift Ideas?
http://www.thecrystalwizard.co.uk
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
I-KP



Joined: 25 Sep 2003
Posts: 3770
Location: Iddheim

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firstly, unbeknownst to me (until I asked) it turns out the comment was more along the lines of a dislike of the Star Trek universe in general. Fine. I'm not being paid to sell the game for them.[1] So, that makes this pretty historic.

But you weren't to know that, and the essense of your post appears to be questioning an issue seperate to the above so I'll still bite:
- Website full of stuff about "how they're gonna make it cool". You're gonna have to explain to me how you see this as "uninformed".
- To my knowledge there is nothing on the web (and I've looked) to the contrary. Ergo, only uninformed opinion can be levelled against the quality of this particular game (...or do we assume that everything is just going to bad now?). However, give it a few months and that might change (cite: SWG).

Just counting the days until you pipe up again, Phil.

[1] Also, the absence of the ubiquitous 'smilie' in my initial reply made it seem vitriolic when that was not the intent.
_________________
Elements of the past and future combining to make something not quite as good as either.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Twisted



Joined: 03 Nov 2003
Posts: 2332
Location: Sitting in a black leather armchair

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Star-Trek Universe suffers numerous major problems.
The Star-Trek Fanbase suffers major numerous problems.

Even if the game is worldbreaking, I doubt it will be allowed to be.

But, time will tell. I've got a new one to play with anyway Wink

(And they'd ban my Ferengi Borg Wink)
_________________
Semper Eadem, not Merda Taurorum
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mad Dwarf



Joined: 09 Oct 2003
Posts: 1560

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Just counting the days until you pipe up again, Phil. "
Thanks for the compliment. I do like people hanging on my every word 8o)

"or do we assume that everything is just going to bad now?"

Or do we beleive everything that the producer/marketer of a product says?

With the same information available, one person says "I like the look of this" and another says "I don;t".
First person then criticises second for lack of info.

As usual, very short forum posts can lead to misunderstanding. So, here is why I will be avoiding this game:

#1 I'm not a big fan of playing games in the Star Trek universe.

#2 I doubt I will enjoy playing in a world populated by Star Trek fans.

#3 [From the FAQ]
Will there be a monthly fee?
Yes. The fee will be competitive with other products of our genre.

I'm waiting for Civ 4. Doesn't look like they're putting out a demo, so i'll have to wait for release to see what it actually turns out like. Quite a few major changes.

8o)
_________________
Looking for Inspirational Apps?
https://play.google.com/store/apps/developer?id=Mad+Dwarf+Productions
Looking for computer help in Leicestershire?
http://www.thepcwizarduk.com
Looking for Art, Crafts or Gift Ideas?
http://www.thecrystalwizard.co.uk
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
I-KP



Joined: 25 Sep 2003
Posts: 3770
Location: Iddheim

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Twisted wrote:
The Star-Trek Universe suffers numerous major problems.
The Star-Trek Fanbase suffers major numerous problems.

How are Trekkies any different to superhero fanboys? From my outsider's pov they're the same particular breed of 'special'!



Perhaps I need the differences explained to me by an insider. Mike? Wink
_________________
Elements of the past and future combining to make something not quite as good as either.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
I-KP



Joined: 25 Sep 2003
Posts: 3770
Location: Iddheim

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mad Dwarf wrote:
Thanks for the compliment. I do like people hanging on my every word 8o)

Yup. Your every utterance just cuts through the firmament like the word of God himself. I am deeply humbled to be in your luminous presence and unrestrainedly await your next trick. 8o)


Product non-specifically:

If a game doesn’t deliver the punters will vote with their feet. However, it is a foolish person indeed that doesn’t even take a look because they refuse to accept the notion that developers just might mean what they say. There is a middle ground, and, pleasingly, most people seem to dwell within this area. Personally, I like to think that it will do what it says on the tin to at least the greater extent rather than stonewalling as a matter of course. If someone has a beef, then, if I care, I expect at least a clue as to why – and where that info is sourced (largely because I don't want to try something if it is critically flawed and I'm not aware of the said).

Product specifically (STO):

Mike doesn’t like the universe. Fine - as I said. No problem. Not sure why yet (no explanation beyond intra-fanboy rivalry[?] and a passing reference to as yet unidentified game setting “problems” – somewhat unusually if he’d just said “I simply don’t like the setting” I wouldn’t be asking for an explanation, which in itself is a perilous undertaking whenever Mikey is involved) but I have every confidence that will be arriving shortly.

On the subject of money, I don’t know of any recent MMORPGs that don’t charge a monthly fee. It’s a fact of the territory – if you want to play MMORPGs.
_________________
Elements of the past and future combining to make something not quite as good as either.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Twisted



Joined: 03 Nov 2003
Posts: 2332
Location: Sitting in a black leather armchair

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fanbois/grrls are the same everywhere.

In Star Trek, they're the majority. In some other games, they're just nOObs Smile

In the same way, I wouldn't touch Dr. Who / Blakes 7/Bab 5 /WoD Online with a 50 foot stake Smile

Star Wars:Galaxies and to an extent, (/flamesuit on), Star Wars Lego didn't do anything for me, mainly due to the fact that gameplay is tacked onto a immutable universe.

(I've heard similar things from Mr. Burge hating FF7; which I loved; due to the fact that he wanted the character to be of his own creation)

For Everquest/City of Heroes/Neverwinter Nights/Balder's Gate; you're character is your own creation and the way he interacts with the world is yours to decide; whether it's PL/grind or dance round statues.

With SW:G, and to an extent what Star Trek HAS to be; the world is detailed down to the finest spittle from a rabid fanbois mouth; and the Universe itself has holes created by the fact that it's based on a medium that alters according to plot needs; rather than realism.

You just don't get midichlorians, Jar-Jar, or any of Star Trek's 'flight of fantasy' re-writes in some other games; and that's why I like them.
_________________
Semper Eadem, not Merda Taurorum


Last edited by Twisted on Sat Sep 17, 2005 6:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Twisted



Joined: 03 Nov 2003
Posts: 2332
Location: Sitting in a black leather armchair

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I-KP wrote:

On the subject of money, I don’t know of any recent MMORPGs that don’t charge a monthly fee. It’s a fact of the territory – if you want to play MMORPGs.


GuildWars, Most Betas and Kingdom of Loathing, off the top of my head.

Not positive on Guildwars.
_________________
Semper Eadem, not Merda Taurorum
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
I-KP



Joined: 25 Sep 2003
Posts: 3770
Location: Iddheim

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Twisted wrote:
In Star Trek, they're the majority. In some other games, they're just nOObs Smile

What MMORPG 'Star Trek' games are you comparing against here?

Twisted wrote:
With SW:G, and to an extent what Star Trek HAS to be; the world is detailed down to the finest spittle from a rabid fanbois mouth; and the Universe itself has holes created by the fact that it's based on a medium that alters according to plot needs; rather than realism.

Like any series of novels, any series of comics, any series of games themselves (cite: FF - defined almost entirely by what 'the fanboys wanted' I might add) ... any series of anything, Mike. This leads me to beleive that you crave originality - a laudible goal and no mistake, but I do find it odd that you refuse to play certain games due to the reasons you have kind of touched on above, and yet play a game - religiously - that was subject to litigation on the grounds of intellectual theft.

As for 'realism', just exactly who's reality are you enjoying?

I would still like to know what these 'holes' are if you wouldn't mind. Or, at least, your perception of the said.

Twisted wrote:
You just don't get midichlorians, Jar-Jar, or any of Star Trek's 'flight of fantasy' re-writes in some other games; and that's why I like them.

Any game, based on anything (even it's own predecessors), is subject to canon. By this logic you will of course not be playing any sequels to any of the games that you currently enjoy. Wink


I don't deny that there are followings. That's kind of the point of any game in order for it to be popular. I don't see this as a bad thing, at least, not entirely! If anything, the said following are more likely to 'play the character' better than a complete n00b, thus, arguably, improving the authenticity of the world. I also doubt very much that the afore labled 'Trekkies' will be any different in this game than any other exponent in any other game you care to mention.
_________________
Elements of the past and future combining to make something not quite as good as either.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
I-KP



Joined: 25 Sep 2003
Posts: 3770
Location: Iddheim

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Twisted wrote:
GuildWars, Most Betas and Kingdom of Loathing, off the top of my head.

Betas are only temporarily free.
I seriously doubt that any others could sustain themselves without subscription fees. Where does the cash come from to pay for the servers and pay the wages of those that maintain them? And don't say that it comes from the initial cost of the game license because that money is probably only just enough to cover the development costs (if their lucky).
_________________
Elements of the past and future combining to make something not quite as good as either.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Twisted



Joined: 03 Nov 2003
Posts: 2332
Location: Sitting in a black leather armchair

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I-KP wrote:
Twisted wrote:
GuildWars, Most Betas and Kingdom of Loathing, off the top of my head.

Betas are only temporarily free.
I seriously doubt that any others could sustain themselves without subscription fees. Where does the cash come from to pay for the servers and pay the wages of those that maintain them? And don't say that it comes from the initial cost of the game license because that money is probably only just enough to cover the development costs (if their lucky).


Most others run off donations. KOL has been going for years now with no required input whatsoever.
_________________
Semper Eadem, not Merda Taurorum
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.themutepoint.com Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group