www.themutepoint.com Forum Index www.themutepoint.com
Leicesters Games Soc Site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Wargames at Nationals 2005
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
I-KP

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff,

Ultimately I think we want the same thing; a bloody good fight that rewards leadership and ingenuity. Personally, I don't find such things possible within GW products, one of the reasons I've tried many of them and moved on.

I agree that Open categories would not draw a large crowd. IMO this is directly (but not soley) attributable to the stranglehold that GW has on the current market. From a business point of view it's a masterstroke but, as Iain has already mentioned, as is common with monopolies the customers loose out with a less inovative/diverse product designed to appeal to the lowest common denominator. :. I beleive that GW are the bad guys and this observation is influencing Nationals organiser decisions on which games to offer (they, after all, are doing the same thing that GW are - playing it safe by targetting the commonground).

As for the argument that it would cost too much to set new games up - that problem is symptomatic not cause. That doesn't make it any easier to overcome but judging by the amount of terrain that was manufactured when we held it I doubt this would be quite the problem you envisage. The whole argument that new games would cost too much to implement seems a bit cockeyed to me considering the rip-off pricing philosophy that GW adopts.

Bringing in GW alternatives would be hard work and it is a risk. With the state of the Nationals these days it probably wouldn't work anyway. A sad state of affairs and, IMO, along with the spiralling cost of attendance, another reason not to go.

Self defeating: I agree with your comments entirely, but I don't think anyone said that it was self defeating with regard to WG in general.

Rob,

Rob wrote:
I think you?ve said you?d like a ?genre rich in diversity and "out of the box thinking" played by a smallish crowd?

Almost. I inferred that given the choice between GW homogeny and a smaller player base (but arguably better games), I'd go for the latter.

Rob wrote:
PS I-KP can I upload an avatar or not ? have tried a couple of times and it doesn't seem to work just get a red x? thanks

Er, PM Flossy. He's the board owner. If it's any help, I did this...
In Profile, put the full URL to the image you wish to use in the "Link to off-site Avatar" field (NOT in any of the "Upload..." fields - I don't think this install has been set up to accept uploads - well, they've never worked for me). I believe there are size limits on the image or it won't load. Not sure what but mine's 80x60 (or thereabouts).

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I-KP thanks for Avatar info, got a message off MCC too

As for Nationals bits.
Problem with small player base is it doesn't allow for drop outs etc
it might improve the quality but there is not as much chance of getting players.

I think I said earlier is that the different clubs round the country need to start playing a variety of game and then there might be more of an uptake in the nationals
Rob
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.themutepoint.com Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: