www.themutepoint.com Forum Index www.themutepoint.com
Leicesters Games Soc Site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Blood Royale
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
antiwiggle

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah I see, so this is an HTML problem rather than a PHP one. Hmm, may be this is the kind of thing you are looking for.

I can't test it at work but it looks like it steps through the array each time the user pressed the next button.
Mad Dwarf

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not so much HTML as WhatAmITryingToDo?

I've had a look at Forms, and Action+SELF/isset, and yes, it loops the array again (which resets the random numbers I generate! Sad )

I keep looking through different approaches, but can't see anything ... I think I'll leave it until after the weekend, have a break, see if I can come back fresh.

Thanks anyway
http://www.thecrystalwizard.co.uk
Mad Dwarf

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, a quick update:

A big round of "Thank you"s to Dave, Andy, Dave, Chris and others who have pointed me in the right direction with this.
I understand a lot more than I did, and feel I am making some progress.

Speaking of progress, the current state of affairs is bets summed up by stepping through the Game Turn as currently written:

Admin: Set up game - blanks all tables and values, ready for new data.
Players: Set up Dynasties - Names of Dynasty, King, Queen and First-Born.

Game begins!

Birth Phase - Check Married couples, and see if they have a child in the first year of the Turn. Check if they would like to try again (x2).
New children are assigned random names from a (very short) list.

Death Phase - Each Character over the age of 15 must make a Survival roll based upon their age. Fail = DEAD.
Death will end a marriage, voiding any Contract and freeing the Widow to remarry.

Marriage Phase - each player is given the option of having his unmarried Sons proposing to an unmarried Daughter from another Dynasty. This may include a Written Contract. Players are given the option to accept or refuse Proposals, and may keep re-offering until they decide not to.

Interphase - Decide Tax level (Low(5gp)/High(7gp)). Pay for Armies. Raise new Armies. (this phase, and everything beyond, is still under construction)

I have over 30 .php files, and there are 9 tables (plus a View) in the Database.
Player names are hard-coded. This will (?) be altered later.
The View is a copy of the People table, only showing Alive People, allowing me to keep a full record of people, without having to add "AND NOT DEAD!" to each query.
Marriage Contracts will be Hand-Moderated, as their freedom and complexity demands. it may be possible to add coding for common features (Trade, Movement)

The Movement/Combat Phase will be tricky. I can just about see how to represent the Map (record each Province as having a list of Neighbours), but the Interface for moving Armies around is looking daunting.
Combat should be OK. The Turn-Based structure means it needs to be played-out "real-time", with all players at their keyboards while decisions are made.

End Phase - need to double-check everything that needs doing. Clear turn-based variables, increment the Turn and Year counters. Allow players to cash-in Resources. (This will be put at the end of Movement)

So, I am getting somewhere, albeit slowly!

I'm not sure who will want to play, and if I get lots of interest, may look into how to run multiple games at once! (separate databases, with a Game Number variable?)

As always, comments and suggestions gratefully received.
Full set of files available on request, under the Rule 7 Licence*

So remember: Wealth Is Power! Power Is Wealth!

* Rule 7: Don't Take The Piss.
Mad Dwarf

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm reasonably happy with the Turn Sequence so far, but have run into a stumbling block: The Movement Phase.

Sequence:

Choose Random Player

Move pieces (Armies, Fleets, Resources, Princes and King) around the board.
Other players may interdict movement if their Provinces are entered.

Choose to claim any uncontested Provinces.

Attack Armies in same Province.

Cash-In any sets of Resources that have made it to Capital.

Choose Next Player randomly. Repeat.

I don't currently have a way of graphically representing the map (beyond a static .jpg), so it will all be text-based.
I might be able to build a set of tables representing each Piece, its location and possibly movement, and have FORMs to input movement.
If they are moving through friendly territory, they can continue the Movement Phase. If they enter a 'hostile' Province, pause until that player has responded (OK - keep moving. NO - end that piece's movement.)

Fleets complicate the matter, as they can transport other pieces, using only the Fleet's movement points.

Suggestions please?
Mad Dwarf

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thoughts:

Movement/map:
Each province/sea can have a list of neighbours (other provinces/seas).
Provinces/Seas have 1-8 neighbours.
I'm not sure how to build this. Add 8 columns to "Provinces" table, and enter neighbours (and NULLs)? Write a php file with Arrays?
The Player Interface can present these, with radio-buttons, for movement, repeating this step until player chooses to end movement.
Each Character/Army/Resource can have an "Embarked" value (either 0 for not embarked, or equal to the Fleet_id of its carrier). Fleets can then move, taking their passengers along with them.
Need to distinguish between neighbour-Province and Neighbour Sea. i think this can be done with reference to Fleets needing to be "in port" to pick up cargo/passengers, so Land Units do not Move to sea, they Embark. The Fleet then Move to Sea (or another Port), taking the Land Units with them.
Fleets can enter Port at Provinces (and are effectively in that Province), but obviously not move to land-locked Provinces.

Battles cannot be fought at sea.

Structure of Movement Phase:
1) EVENTS (this is just about working)
2) cycle through players in random order -
2a) Move characters, armies, fleets and resources (NOTE: resources do have an Owner as such. If they start in your country, you can move them)
2b) Fight any battles (decided by current player)
3) repeat 1-2

So, quite a bit to work on still.
As always, comments and suggestions gratefully received.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.themutepoint.com Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: