www.themutepoint.com Forum Index www.themutepoint.com
Leicesters Games Soc Site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dream Park World Tour

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.themutepoint.com Forum Index -> Wednesday Nite Fire Fight
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What would you like to try after Iron Throne?
Dances with Wargs
33%
 33%  [ 1 ]
Battlestar Jurassica
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Titanic Rim
33%
 33%  [ 1 ]
Sleepless in Klendathu
33%
 33%  [ 1 ]
Jurassic Reich
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Spiders of the Caribbean
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 3

Crofter

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:53 pm    Post subject: Dream Park World Tour Reply with quote

Dream park world tour 2054 is live!

Thanks for being open minded and participating fully yesterday: it turned a potentially risky project into a real blast!

I thought it might be fun to open up a thread, partly so we can try and make sense of it all, but also because I still love reading the original Dream park one. Also, I enjoy the idea that others reading this will think the whole notion is completely ghastly! It's a 'had to be there' experience that you will struggle to credibly recount to friends without it sounding terrible! ( I have tried )

So what is this reboot of the franchise all about, and what's new?

Elevator pitch

Celebrities strive after public redemption, in a dysfunctional, augmented reality cocktail of the Hunger Games and I'm a Celebrity Get Me Out of Here. All overseen by an executive producer with (apparently) complete lack of respect for film and TV canon.

What I am trying to achieve

Jumping the shark, every time we run this! The game is a framework for trying out a whole multitude of ideas, some of which will be awesome, and others will be so terrible we shall remember them with a shudder.

The guiding principle is to encourage narrative generosity and flair: in the Dream Park Arena, entertaining and dramatic actions can be richly rewarded by a fickle public, but perceived survival play and munchkin behaviour is called out in real time on social media - and addressed by a production team who are fiercely attentive to their viewer engagement.

Behind this, a consistent thread will be the development of your celebrity and their relationships, rivalries, alliances etc. There is no omnipotent big brother running Dream Park; the Production Team are flawed human beings with their own worries, fears, problems and ambitions. Celebrities know how to influence people, and will need to work hard behind the scenes to maximise their chances in the Arena, given the fragile and mercurial nature of the average dream park career.

Game mechanics / format

We are trying to make the system take a back seat to the action, and a lightly modified Action / agent section of the Cortex Hackers Guide (116 - 139) serves this well.

Each player has two character sheets: a celebrity one which is permanent, and a scenario specific character which I create and hand out. Each Celebrity will get to try out a number of different character types, with varying degrees of synergy to what they are actually good at...

Each scenario is divided into key Scenes, and there is the equivalent of an ad break between them when the Celebrities get to regroup, check public sentiment and feedback, and try to steer the whole affair in a successful direction.

What constitutes 'Success' is someone partly defined by the Celebrities and their agendas; this week for example, we knew Mr Supernova Downey Jr Jr was hanging by a thread, so success was partly focusing on making one Celebrity character look good, while not ignoring your own individual profiles with the public.

This week we just dipped out toes into the basic premise and mechanics. I expect all hell to break loose when we throw some of the other celebrities into the mix....
Crofter

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Production staff that you have met so far :

Tina Grimshaw : runner, keeps it all going. Red hair, big glasses, clipboard.

Seigfried Weitzegger : Assistant script producer. Hipster-ish, serious, a bit highly strung.

Nathaniel 'Bollinger' Smythe : Associate Creative Director. Ex Etonian you suspect, clearly out of his depth but quite cheerful and generous with his stash.

Jenny Mountfort : Head of Properties (physical and virtual). Professional, quite straight and serious, long serving in the company (she is 50-ish), big drinker - Jenny lightens up when she has had a few Gins!

Derek Johnson : Health and Safety, Compliance. Nervous, heavy smoker. Seems concerned about out of work problems as much as the pressures of the job.

Ajay Deshmukh : Head of Legal. Youg for his role, quite a can-do, swashbuckling type (guess you'd need to be!)

Mick Portman : Key grip / Gaffer. Full english breakfast eating, smoking, heart of the operation type of person. Late 40's, portly.

More as we go on, this is a placeholder.
Crofter

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dream Park Theme tune and char sheets are in Drop Box Wed night folder
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.themutepoint.com Forum Index -> Wednesday Nite Fire Fight All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: