www.themutepoint.com Forum Index www.themutepoint.com
Leicesters Games Soc Site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Games Of The Gods

View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Ardingthoth

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 12:01 pm    Post subject: The Games Of The Gods Reply with quote

Some ideas that have been buzzing around my head for a while now. The seed of this came several years ago from when Nick ran an extension game session at the end of a Rolemaster campaign where the party ascended and had their own little world to take care of...

I also know that Irish Mark has been having similar, albeit slightly different, ideas, so I thought I'd post up my thoughts for comment, and maybe get a game running at some point in the next few months.

I have liked the idea of actually doing more of a campaign or mini campaign based around this concept. I think that it would be a monthly (or perhaps longer interval) meatspace game, with discusssion (on the mute) as to what was happening in the intervening years / decades / millenia. Don't think I could run it as a weekly, (though it would be great if I could!) simply for the fact that this game could and probably will go anywhere and everywhere, and some planning based on what happens is needed.

Basic Outline:
There is something that is attempting to destroy reality - the big bad (Name to be determined). The Administration is responsible for the continued existence of reality (including themselves) and has allocated worlds to be supervised / looked after by entities who we shall call Gods. Creating things, like worlds and their contents, extends and strengthens reality. The Gods of a world define its creation and all aspects of it and its population, and their roles / areas of influence, they can be a nice / nasty / good / evil as they like, their PRIMARY purpose is to defend their little corner of reality from being destroyed. The Administration will allow the Gods to do pretty much what they like with their world, they will only make an appearance to set up the world as to what the Gods define, and if called upon for help, or if a threat is not being dealt with adequately. The Gods inhabit a "place" called Celestia. Celestia is not physical like the worlds, but for purposes of play consider it to have normal physics applied to the contents...Celestia IS part of reality, and can be attacked by the big bad.

Like most mythologies, when the world is young the Gods can walk upon it with ease, but as the world ages it becomes harder for the Gods to manifest directly.

I anticipate just one stat for a God, which is Power. After the world has been built by The Administration, the Gods will all start off with a certain amount e.g 100. As they do stuff to affect the world as it develops (walk upon it, send dreams or inspiration to followers, deposit Artifacts etc) they will spend Power. Power is regained by people worshipping that God, so the more followers each one has, the faster / more Power they will gain.

From time to time, a God / the Gods will probably want to visit. They can either manifest directly (quite a lot of Power) or choose a mortal representative. This representative is NOT a Hero by definition - more on that later - but could be a PC if the player/s choose.

Heros are created when a God has offspring with a mortal. Heros are significantly more potent than mortals, but ultimately still can be killed. Heros have the potential to ascend to Godhood, either as part of their own world, or be re-assigned by The Administration.

Meatspace (or Skype) games will be one of three forms:

The party are Gods, doing Godly things mostly in Celestia, although looking upon the world (for free), sending messages to followers (costs Power) and other such things are fine.

The party are Gods / Heros / Representatives on the world (a mix is possible but probably not a great plan for game balance) adventuring or fighting a threat, or simply needing to do some "Housekeeping"...An existing rules system could probably be used, although some tweaking for Gods / Heros might be needed. Alternatively a new one could be written, but why re-invent the wheel if something else will fit well enough...

The party are a group of adventurers - normal mortals in the wrong place at the wrong time. Probably use an existing rules system for these games.

Cyberspace discussion sessions will generally be as Gods - to be honest I anticipate that most Meatspace sessions will be on the world, not in Celestia, although that depends a lot upon the players.

Thoughts so far people? This is NOT a fully fleshed system, I'm sure there are holes in it. Who would be interested in playing?
The Ardingthoth

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some discussion, or Celestia based games would probably work over Skype quite well....I don't anticipate dice rolling, GM's discression as to how much Power things cost. If Gods fight Gods in Celestia, there will be effects upon the world (e.g severe weather) but it would pretty much come down as to who was willing to spend more Power.

An interesting thought has developed from this - how much Power would one God have to spend to actually kill another God? This would be bad for reality by the way, The Administation would not be happy and probably want to send in the Auditors...

If a God's Power is reduced to zero, then they are considered by followers etc to be sleeping, and may well be incapacitated for a short while until their power recovers. If Power is reduced to a negative value that is at least their own normal Power then they would be killed.

As Power is a variable amount with no set upper limit (Gods could hoard power for a LONG time, not spending any of it - their worshippers might loose faith if their prayers are not answered - then spend huge great wadges in one go...) their "normal" Power would be the Power which they have before the conflict, or that which they have available as a general rule, which ever was the greater.
Urban Spaceman

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another slant on the concept is to use the initial phase of the game to establish a mileu of fiction and mythology for later use as the basis for a more conventional game.

Will have a chat to you about this in person as am thinking about a considerably more freeform (systemless?) way of doing this.
Wisp

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool Idea, tried out things like this a couple of time before. If you do get a game going you can count me in Smile

Would give me a chance to catch up as not spoken to you for a while - since the sunday trips all over the bloody place got too much for work!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.themutepoint.com Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: