www.themutepoint.com Forum Index www.themutepoint.com
Leicesters Games Soc Site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Dangerous Games Star][craft mini-League!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
I-KP

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:58 pm    Post subject: The Dangerous Games Star][craft mini-League! Reply with quote

The Dangerous Games Star][craft mini-League

Nothing serious, just for chuckles, and we might even learn a thing or two in the process. Granted, there is a bit of a skill disparity between us but none of us are that good that a crafty move – you know, the stuff that AIs don’t do - can always be shut down. The game has good Observer functionality so those who aren’t playing can spectate and coo about the proxy pylon that hasn’t been noticed, snoop tactics etc.

The Preliminary Fixtures

- Everyone plays everyone twice (12 games each) with the ‘Home’ player (the first name in the match-up) choosing the map.
- Win = 2pts. Stalemate = 1pt. Loss = 0pts.
- Fixtures are ordered randomly.

Tactical Shenanigans...

There are a lot of games in the Preliminaries so the below help to reduce that number and mix things up a little bit.

- Scaredy-Cat (Optional). Call ONE of your match-ups a Stalemate instead of actually playing it (but the match-up may still be played for fun if both agree). A match-up may be called in this manner at any point as long as it hasn't started. Any one player may not be Scaredy-Catted more than two times throughout the Preliminaries.
- Phone-a-Friend (Optional). When ONE of your HOME match-ups comes up choose ONE other match-up that hasn't yet been played and combine both to make a 2v2 ('Home' v 'Away'). Points and PWSL stats awarded each (i.e., win = 2pts each, and each add +1 P and +1 W/S/L).

The Finals

- In the event of tied positioning in the Preliminaries a Decider match is played, with map chosen by those not playing.
- 3rd & 4th in Preliminaries play Bo3 (Best of Three) for 3rd place, with maps chosen by those not playing.
- 1st & 2nd in Preliminaries play Bo3 for 1st place, with maps chosen by those not playing.
- Tactical Shenanigans cannot be used in the Finals.

Winner is crowned the DGSL Top N00b!

==============================================

The Contenders

Hammer – James B. playing Terran
Pyroxian - Steve B. playing Protoss
El_Cid – Ian O. playing Terran
Drut – Iain-K P. playing Zerg
Nethercat – Keith V. playing Protoss

Score Table

1. Nethercat(P) – 4 (P:2 W:2 S:0 L:0)
2. El_Cid(T) – 2 (P:2 W:1 S:0 L:1)
=. Drut(Z) – 2 (P:2 W:1 S:0 L:1)
4. Hammer(T) – 0 (P:2 W:0 S:0 L:2)
5. Pyroxian(P) – 0 (P:0 W:0 S:0 L:0)

The Preliminary Fixtures

1 Nethercat(P) v Pyroxian(P)
2 Drut(Z) v El_Cid(T) - w/ 2Base Roach/Ling.
3 El_Cid(T) v Hammer(T) - w/ 1Base 1-1-1/Tank.
4 Nethercat(P) v Drut(Z) - w/ 2Base 4Warpgate.
5 Pyroxian(P) v Nethercat(P)
6 Pyroxian(P) v Hammer(T)
7 Hammer(T) v Nethercat(P) - w/ 1Base 4Warpgate.
8 Pyroxian(P) v El_Cid(T)
9 El_Cid(T) v Drut(Z)
10 Drut(Z) v Hammer(T)
11 Hammer(T) v El_Cid(T)
12 Drut(Z) v Nethercat(P)
13 Drut(Z) v Pyroxian(P)
14 Nethercat(P) v El_Cid(T)
15 El_Cid(T) v Pyroxian(P)
16 Nethercat(P) v Hammer(T)
17 Hammer(T) v Pyroxian(P)
18 Pyroxian(P) v Drut(Z)
19 Hammer(T) v Drut(Z)
20 El_Cid(T) v Nethercat(P)

The Finals

3rd Place (Bo3): ________ v ________
R1 winner: ________
R2 winner: ________
R3 winner: ________

1st Place (Bo3): ________ v ________
R1 winner: ________
R2 winner: ________
R3 winner: ________

DGSL Top N00b - ________

Last edited by I-KP on Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:33 pm; edited 9 times in total
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
SteveBurge

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be up for a bit of SC2. I think Kev H and Andy W have the game too, so might be worth chucking them a PM.

Have to think what side to play - probably Protoss, as marines are getting a bit boring Wink

Steve
I-KP

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good man! More the merrier, I say.

I'll drop a PM to Kev and Andy via Faceache.

With more players might have to change the 'play 'everyone twice' part otherwise we'll end up with dozens of games to get through, unless people are okay with that; I certainly don't mind having to play lots.

Protoss 4Gates-a-plenty!
I-KP

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Above presumptuously updated with full involvement; easy enough to delete match-ups if not.

What do folk think about the Tactical Shenanigans?
nethercat

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am in like flint.
I-KP

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool. Andy replied with willing but no experience in playing the game much. I don't see that as being a problem if no-one else does, those with a greater understanding could impart a smidgen of wisdom; think of it as hands on training. Smile

I've not put any thought into scheduling. The general idea was to play matches whenever people are online, and if there are others around they are invited to observe (watching someone else play is a great way to learn stuff). Weekends may end up being the most common possible times to play. If things don't seem to be progressing we can try to fix a regular slot. Sound okay?

Lock'n'load.
I-KP

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick update:-

Still not sure whether or not Kev and Andy want to play as a team. As they are both new to the game it seemed like a reasonable way to get them in and playing without getting rolled before the 7th minute.

Fixtures list remains set as above and are awaiting games.

Adopting a 'play as an when' policy re the above has resulted in the grand total of zero games played thus far. Most of us are on Steam so perhaps people need to be a bit more active about getting some games played, i.e., not waiting for me to prod (because I haven't been). Perhaps some form of loose scheduling is necessary. I humbly propose: Saturdays, Sundays and Monday evenings. Hopefully everyone can make it to the table for at least one of those slots. Thoughts?

There's no reason why games can't be co-ordinated in here.
nethercat

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

might be an idea if everyone adds everyone else as a friend on starcraft 2 i only have drut and hammer at the moment, so its a bit tricky knowing when people are on, especially if you don't have them on steam.
I-KP

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anyone wants to buddy me up in SC2 here's my email address: ----------------------------. As far as Battlenet is concerned my name is Noddy McNoddy (game name Drut).

Last edited by I-KP on Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
I-KP

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few of us are planning to get a few match-ups played tonight (Monday 7th) between the hours of 1800 and 2200. Observers welcome.
Buzz

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its looking more likely to be between 2000 and 2030 now....
I-KP

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Updated.

FYI, everyone should read up on how to stop a Protoss 4Warpgate otherwise the Protoss players are just going to cruise this one. Not going to lie, it's hard to stop; even the Pros fall to it from time to time.

A 4Warpgate is where the Protoss build four Gateways, a Cybernetics core, build proxy Pylon(s) somewhere near your base, chronoboosts Warpgate research, then just spams Zealots and Stalkers via the proxy Pylon(s). If you've not got a defence ready by 6 minutes you're fucked, pretty much.

For Terran:-
Send Scout SCV @ ~14 food to find P base.
Build a Zerg-wall at your ramp w/ 1 Bunker. (If your natural has no ramp you're stuck on 1Base until you break the 4Warpgate push.)
1st Gas.
1st Barracks w/ Tech lab - research Stim.
Get Orbital Command started no later than @ 3:00 (aim for 2:40).
1st Factory (swap with Barracks to plug into Tech lab) - research Seige
(or 2nd Barracks w/ Reactor).
Build a Reactor on the first Barracks.
2nd Gas.
2nd Barracks w/ Tech lab for Marauders
(or 3rd Barracks w/ Tech lab - research Concussion & Combat Shield).
Go for a ratio of roughly 4 Marines, 2 Marauder, 1 Tank (or 4 Marines, 2 Marauders).
Defend the first push then hunt down the proxy Pylon(s) near your base. Don't worry too much about remote Pylons that don't cut down on the Protoss travel times.

For Protoss:-
The only way to stop a 4Warpgate is with a 4Warpgate.

For Zerg:-
Not sure yet but I'm working on it. The first attempt failed to stop it but I am a man with a plan(tm)! Smile

...or something like that anyway!
I-KP

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kev and Andy don't feel confident enough to take part. Sad
SteveBurge

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah well Sad We should try and grab them some time for some vs. AI matches to build up their confidence then Smile
I-KP

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Always willing to play; only have to ask.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.themutepoint.com Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: