www.themutepoint.com Forum Index www.themutepoint.com
Leicesters Games Soc Site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Starcraft II

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SteveBurge

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:33 am    Post subject: Starcraft II Reply with quote

Got my copy today - who else has got it/is getting it?

Steve
I-KP

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will be getting it (if you don't have to stay logged in to Battle.net to play SP).
I-KP

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems Blizzard are using Starcraft 2 to screw as much money as they can out of their customers.

- Always log-on to Battle.net to play SP. (You can log in as 'guest' to play offline but none of your progress will be recorded.)
- No Spawn. Gone are the days when one copy would spawn on all machines at a LAN fest.
- No LAN. See above. (Not really a factor for me these days anyway.)
- SP campaigns are locked to one faction per game (three games in all), but all three games each come at the price of a single full game.
- SP campaigns are slimmed-down (nothing like as long as they were in SC1), but you still pay full price as if it were a full game - when it isn't.
- "Pay for only" premium units and maps individually for sale via Battle.net. Yet more money required for content that should be in the (already over-priced) game anyway.
- In the final analysis, it's nothing revolutionary because it's essentially the same game as SC1 made prettier!

If you want to be able to play all factions, with all units, on all maps you'll end up spending the better part of £100 on this. Expect no such thing as free DLC either; it's all going to be 'pay for' extras via Battle.net. I quit the Call of Duty franchise due to blatant greed and now SC2 is beginning to leave a similarly foul taste in my mouth.

If you want to 'support' Blizzard then all credit to you, because you're going to need it (extra bank credit that is).
I-KP

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...I'll probably still get it though. I'm such a sucker. Evil or Very Mad
SteveBurge

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I-KP wrote:
Seems Blizzard are using Starcraft 2 to screw as much money as they can out of their customers.

- Always log-on to Battle.net to play SP. (You can log in as 'guest' to play offline but none of your progress will be recorded.)
- No Spawn. Gone are the days when one copy would spawn on all machines at a LAN fest.
- No LAN. See above. (Not really a factor for me these days anyway.)
- SP campaigns are locked to one faction per game (three games in all), but all three games each come at the price of a single full game.
- SP campaigns are slimmed-down (nothing like as long as they were in SC1), but you still pay full price as if it were a full game - when it isn't.
- "Pay for only" premium units and maps individually for sale via Battle.net. Yet more money required for content that should be in the (already over-priced) game anyway.
- In the final analysis, it's nothing revolutionary because it's essentially the same game as SC1 made prettier!

If you want to be able to play all factions, with all units, on all maps you'll end up spending the better part of £100 on this. Expect no such thing as free DLC either; it's all going to be 'pay for' extras via Battle.net. I quit the Call of Duty franchise due to blatant greed and now SC2 is beginning to leave a similarly foul taste in my mouth.

If you want to 'support' Blizzard then all credit to you, because you're going to need it (extra bank credit that is).

The always logged on is a bit annoying, especially if you have an iffy internet connection like me - although saving to Battle.net is handy as I can pick up my saved progress on my laptop/work machine.

The Terran campaign is about 30 missions, which I guess is the same length as the 30 missions you got with the original SC. There seems to be stuff to do between missions as well. Plus there's additonal challenge mode scenarios as well. All 3 races are available for multiplayer though.

Paid-for DLC, well that's just in most games now... Time will tell if Blizz release any free content as well, hopefully they will.

Steve
I-KP

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is true, there were 30 missions spanning all three races (10 missions each). I misremembered each race having more.
Mad Dwarf

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm guessing, being Blizard, that there is no scope for 3rd-party independant servers/hosts? Can't just write up one's own levels/campaigns and put them up for public play?

30 level campaign sounds OK.
http://www.thepcwizarduk.com
Looking for Art, Crafts or Gift Ideas?
http://www.thecrystalwizard.co.uk
SteveBurge

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mad Dwarf wrote:
I'm guessing, being Blizard, that there is no scope for 3rd-party independant servers/hosts? Can't just write up one's own levels/campaigns and put them up for public play?

30 level campaign sounds OK.

It comes with a map editor to create your own levels.

Steve
Mad Dwarf

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

interesting ...
Can you play these multi-player? Like, set up your own matches vs friends?
http://www.thepcwizarduk.com
Looking for Art, Crafts or Gift Ideas?
http://www.thecrystalwizard.co.uk
I-KP

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Played it for a while. First impressions aren't great.

Battle.net is slow, buggy and awkward. The constant push toward using RealID is blatant and annoying. Setting up a game is a trial when it should be easy.

The games themselves are okay but I think staying so close to the original was a mistake because it feels old, basic and a little bit wet compared to more 'modern' offerings. You keep wanting to zoom farther out to see more of the battlefield (zooming in is pointless BTW) but you can't, and the view you are left with feels constricted even on very high resolutions (tested on 1920x1200).

The inbetween mission activities are in effect just end-level cutscenes broken down into segments that you have to click to see. These mini-scenes are very nicely made and the voice acting doesn't make you want to stab a kitten with your keyboard, but these click-scenes feel like a cheap attempt to make you think that there's more game here than there really is and that you're having an influence over where the game is heading.

At the moment I would find it hard to recommend unless you really, really liked SC1 and cried into your pillow for the last twelve years waiting for an update.

I had far more fun playing Alien Swarm than I did playing this. SC2 isn't a bad game, but neither is it a great one.

3.5 out of 5.
I-KP

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few weeks later: it's grown on me a bit.

4/5.
I-KP

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's growing on me a lot. I suspect some form of Zerg infestation might have taken hold.

4.25/5
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.themutepoint.com Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: