www.themutepoint.com Forum Index www.themutepoint.com
Leicesters Games Soc Site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Dead ...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
flossy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:58 am    Post subject: The Dead ... Reply with quote

Just came across this little old rpg and on a quick run though, seems quick fun Smile

http://www.the-dead.net/
I-KP

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hm... maybe. I'm generally not a fan of mechanics that tell you how your character should react to certain points of role-play, i.e., loosing someone close to you. The concept that has you 'using up' your closeness to another character doesn't make much sense either.

At the start it says that it's not a game meant for inexperienced role-players and yet it uses mechanics that kind of act like an instruction guide in how to role-play.

Still, it might be a chuckle to play at least once.
flossy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is one of those points about how your character feels. We all know Call of Cthulhu has rules that dictate when and how you go insane, would you argue that a player could say no, my character copes with it?
I-KP

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not quite the same thing. I'd say Insanity is quite easy to set apart from bumps to any action you do that has a Relationship involved - but only once, as if to say: "You've had your lot darlin', now you're on your own." (CoC is great setting with a poor system, tho still much better than its contemporaries, so I'd not be citing that as a defense.) I'd much rather decide how my character reacts to things happening to Relationships rather than have some cluggy mechanic lay down the law (which sounds like an RP training aid rather than something that so-called experienced RPers should be using).
flossy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surely it's a test of role playing. There are many things, not just insanity, which are involuntary reactions. Surely in real life mental strength is an important characteristic in being able to continue, and would it seem wrong to game mechanically represent that?
I-KP

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The way they've done it, yes.

Perhaps we come from two different philosophical standpoints. I happen to like the idea that there is no-one better placed to decide how a character reacts than the player. That's a test of role-play; not being told by the system how you must react. Mechanics that force reactions are invariably cluggy (as in this system), start to get in the way and often generate bizarre results that end up being overridden anyway.
flossy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh a related note, how are actors 'tested'? Are they note asked to convey emotions which are dictated to them? Loaded question I know, but I think it makes its point.
I-KP

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Improvisation is widely regarded as being a rather attractive feather to have in the acting cap. (Case in point: Sharlto Copley, as Wikus van de Merwe in District 9, was acclaimed for improvising the eviction scenes in the movie.) Most good games (and stories/movies for that matter) start with a premise and the organic performance that flows from that can be rather special. Sometimes things like that can happen around the table in role-playing games but IME this kind of creativity comes from complex player interaction, within a given situation, rather than being dictated by often awkward and far less inventive mechanics.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.themutepoint.com Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: