www.themutepoint.com Forum Index www.themutepoint.com
Leicesters Games Soc Site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sandlast: Timeline

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dbhb

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 6:59 pm    Post subject: Sandlast: Timeline Reply with quote

She coughs blood.

“I’m sorry children, that it has come to this. That your mothers and fathers have been lost, and only I have remained. I may have kept you alive, but in doing so I’ve preserved far too little of your heritage. It’s little more than a blank tablet that you have now. But I know you children, and your children, and their children, will write great things in it. You’ll create a legacy far finer that any you have lost.

"As the light fades, I have fine dreams, children. I dream that our oasis overflows. That these rocky outcrops bloom with fine houses. That the Great Desert beyond blooms with fruit trees. That its monsters are reduced to heads on our walls. That the caravans return and this place becomes the heart of an empire. That we have bloodlines that endure for centuries. That our paths stretch even to the Moon and back. It can happen, children. Not overnight. Not without sacrifice. Not without setbacks. But with passion and patience and inventiveness, your achievements can endure, can count.

"But you must find your own way from here on. I’m going now, and I don’t know where. Remember your Old Mother, if you can. Even in death, perhaps I can watch over you.”
dbhb

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

t=0

Ten years ago in the village of Sandlast the grown-ups disappeared. No-one remembers what happened except “Old Mother”, and she has never said.

Now she is dead. Her body is carried up to the highest peak and left for the birds. In the Long Hall [between L10 & M11], under her bed of skins, the children find a set of 20 clay tablets inscribed with symbols made up of wedge imprints. Though the children understand the idea of recording thoughts in clay, none of them ever mastered anywhere near enough skill to read these tablets, and now it is probably too late.

The children take the tablets into the back of the caves [red C], and pack them in sand-filled goatskins to keep them safe, just in case. They wonder amongst themselves whether the tablets hold the answer to what happened to the grown-ups.

The village currently consists of 61 children.

dbhb

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

t=1

“Ma’ad” Male, 15 years old. Ma’ad is the oldest child in the village, and his father was Chief of the tribe. Tall and strong of body, quiet and serious of nature, he has learned to navigate by the stars. With Old Mother dead, Ma’ad feels the weight of the tribe on his shoulders.

Hoping to find something (another village with grown-ups, another oasis perhaps) Ma’ad announces that he will travel into the Great Desert, heading northward. His sweetheart Veemee, 13 years old, cries and wails at the news. Ma’ad prepares a camel, ten goat-skins of water from the well, one of dried fruit, and one of dried meat. It is not much, but it is perhaps as much as the village can spare this year. Ma’ad also takes his flint-tipped spear to defend himself against any monsters. Old Mother once told him that this spear, which she called ‘Wastrel’, used to belong to his father.
dbhb

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ma’ad does not return.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.themutepoint.com Forum Index -> Sandlast All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: