www.themutepoint.com Forum Index www.themutepoint.com
Leicesters Games Soc Site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SYS:> COMBAT-101

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.themutepoint.com Forum Index -> GHOST /in the\ SHELL
View previous topic :: View next topic  
I-KP

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 12:23 pm    Post subject: SYS:> COMBAT-101 Reply with quote

WHEN COMBAT STARTS

POTENTIAL is defined by spending AWARENESS and/or CORPOREAL EFFORT, up to a maximum total of 3. (It is acceptable to start with a POTENTIAL of zero.)

This represents how much extra effort the character is intending to put into a fight - how hard they are going to try. This value stays with the character for the whole of the COMBAT EVENT. During COMBAT ACTs you will be adding any relevant COMPETANCEs and situational modifiers (e.g., Surprise, Advantage, Pain penalties, Tiredness penalties, …) to this POTENTIAL. This resultant value will then be compared to that of the character's foes' values to determine how the COMBAT ACT played out.

AT THE START OF EACH COMBAT ACT

The character declares intent in general terms (e.g., Attack, Fight Defensively, go for a Hold, …).

The character also has the option to TRY HARDER this ACT. One EFFORT can be spent from either CORPOREAL or any remaining Free AWARENESS EFFORT[1]. The effects are as follows:

CORPOREAL
RULE: This can come from either Free EFFORT or TIREDNESS (i.e., if you have no Free CORPOREAL EFFORT left you can spend a TIREDNESS instead[2]).
EFFECT: +1 POTENTIAL for the duration of the ACT. If current POTENTIAL is LESS THAN 3 then the +1 is permanent.

AWARENESS
RULE: Can only be spent from Free EFFORT (i.e., if you have no Free AWARENESS EFFORT left you cannot TRY HARDER in this manner - consider the CORPOREAL TRY HARDER option instead). If the character has EFFORT in the STAYING ALERT pre-spend pool, then AWARENESS TRY HARDER EFFORT must come from there first[3].
EFFECT: +1 POTENTIAL for the duration of the ACT only. At the end of the COMBAT EVENT, and after a short breather, the character gets back all AWARENESS EFFORT spent in this manner less by 1.

WHEN COMBAT ENDS

When the COMBAT EVENT ends
- POTENTIAL is discarded;
- character gets back most TRY HARDER AWARENESS EFFORT (if used, see above);
- any new TIREDNESS incurred during the COMBAT EVENT now takes hold.

[1] The term 'Free EFFORT' refers to the numbers that you have on your character sheet next to all of your ABILITIES (CORPOREAL, AWARENESS, INGENUITY, SOCIAL, CEREBRAL). These values represent the character's ability to put extra effort into tasks without causing tiredness. When Free EFFORT runs out EFFORT can still be channelled into TASKS but TIREDNESS boxes are ticked off instead.

[2] Remembering that the effects of TIREDNESS do not count until the task is completed. In the case of COMBAT, new TIREDNESS is ignored until the end of the COMBAT EVENT. This is called The Rush.

[3] STAYING ALERT adds to your Initiative. By spending from this pool first for the TRY HARDER bonus the character is sacrificing his awareness of what is going on around him/her and instead choosing to focus more on the current foe. If a high Initiative is important the player should consider using the CORPOREAL TRY HARDER option instead of the AWARENESS one.

Last edited by I-KP on Sat Aug 05, 2006 10:35 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
I-KP

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazingly enough, for all the months that we've been playing this, combat hasn't played a significant role; but, as we move into chapter 0010 conflict will feature more heavily so it's important that people understand how to get the best out of their character, hence the above (and I don't think I can describe the basic mechanics any simpler than that). Q&A welcome.

Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.themutepoint.com Forum Index -> GHOST /in the\ SHELL All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: